Thursday, November 1, 2018

British GQ: Major Tom (2013)



November 1, 2013:


Tom Hiddleston was interviewed by John Naughton for British GQ. The interview was done in the run up to the release of Thor: The Dark World so there a lot of focus on Loki but Tom also discusses his fears, schooling, and upcoming projects. I pulled out some of the best quotes. 

"It was a riot. It was mayhem. I [was] in costume, giving a speech, getting people to kneel at my feet. It was deranged and bananas." - Tom talking about his surprise appearance as Loki at Comic Con 2013 



"Maybe it's just getting older. You become so palpably aware this is not a dress rehearsal. There's a big sign in blazing neon that says You Haven't Got Long. But I think it takes a beat to learn that. Life has to knock you down in order for you to realise it, because when you're a kid you think you're immortal. Basically, I'm a madman." 

"I learned a lot from that experience, particularly that if you risk failure, then you also risk success." Tom talking about originally auditioning for the role of Thor. 

"I honestly feel like I'm just beginning. I feel like I've just passed 'Go' for the first time it's time to play. Men are lucky in this game, because between 30 and 50 is when the really juicy parts start to come along and I'm 32, so I feel I'm in a really good spot." 

"I understand the curiosity. One day I hope when there's really something to write home about, then I'll be able to talk." Tom on questions about his personal life. 

"I have a terrible fear of wasting time. Who knows? Maybe I should relax a bit. Maybe working too hard is wasting time. I have a fear of regret. I'm not afraid of death, although I know that sounds odd."

There are several references to Tom playing Hamlet, which he eventually did in September 2017

There are also several quotes from Tom's Avengers co-stars:
"He's prepared and that's important for me. He's a guy who's ready to go and he has a plan. He's open to what the other actors are doing, very complementary to the other talent around him in terms of giving them something to work with and returning something when you give it to him. A lot of actors are like blank pages: you write on them and nothing happens. Tom is very responsive." - Samuel L. Jackson. 
"Tom Hiddleston is my absolute hero. He's clinically enthusiastic. Doing a scene with him is like playing tennis with Venus Williams. He's just always there to hit the ball back no matter which direction it's coming from. He's got a powerful serve!" - Scarlett Johansson. She also revealed a Tom's weakness for sweets "He has a secret sweet tooth - I've never seen anyone devour sugar the way he does". 



Accompanying the interview was a photoshoot by Dylan Don. 


Suit, £1,300. Shirt, £180. Tie, £90. Cufflinks, £120. All by Corneliani

Coat, £2880. Shirt, £630. Trousers, £455. All by Louis Vuitton. Scarf by Corneliani, £110. 

Suit by Ralph Lauren Purple Label, £3,195. Rollneck by John Smedley, £120. Shoes by Louis Vuitton, £710. 


Coat, £3,495. Rollneck, £655. Trousers, £435. All by Ralph Lauren Purple Label

Coat, £5,050. Trousers, £485. Shoes, £710. All by Louis Vuitton. Rollneck by John Smedley, £120. 

Suit, £1500. Shirt, £310. Tie, £145. All by DSquared2. Silver watch fob, £285 by Ralph Lauren Antiques. 



Credits: 

British GQ
British GQ - Bonus Shots
Dylan Don






No comments:

Post a Comment